Dana's Film Theory Blog

a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

how real is reality?

Filed under: Uncategorized — dana318 at 11:28 am on Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Between the readings from this week there is one that in particular stands out to me. This is the excerpt from Siegfried Kracauer which is entitled “Basic Concepts-The Realistic Tendency”. In the excerpt, Kracauer goes into detail about the importance of movement within a film. That then progresses into the talk of the staging of a particular event.

What I find to be so interesting is that although I do believe that raw emotion is easier seen within that of a live actor, he makes a point on how the film can create and unleash so much more from within an audience’ feeling and understandings. What he says is that the studio builds settings which are meant to portray an actual real life event. The scenery, backdrops and props are all strategically placed there to make us believe we could be a part of the atmosphere. However, as these scenes are constructed to portray something we see on a regular basis, the way they actually portray and pan out the event can create intense emotion and even fear from within a viewer. In the excerpt, a man names Erno Metzner uses the example of a picture of a mining disaster. He says that these actual candids provide nothing near to the effect a staged film would have. In film’s such as “Titanic”, we have all scene photos, heard stories and of course seen the wreckage under seas. However when the blockbuster film was released, viewers were deeply saddened and felt more remorse from the way the incident was portrayed. Myself included, I had time and time again heard the story of the shipwreck, but it wasn’t until the staged effects of ice cold water, huge ship sinking and people dying did I realize it had actually taken place and the severity of what had happened. In this excerpt Kracauer says that the staging to make us believe it could happen in reality, can not only cause realization but create a disturbed emotion. I’m going to have to agree with the mere fact that I had experienced this very argument this past weekend when viewing a recent film and thinking to myself that it stirred up feelings and compassion within me that I had not experienced in my own actual reality. I then began to appreciate yet another aspect to film’s and how they could change or alter an opinion you have toward something or someone.

2

powellclifton

March 3, 2010 @ 1:54 pm

I feel that the live actors have a harder job because those kinds of actors have to really get into character without the help of a scenery or a filming studio with props and green screens.The filming studios with backdrops and new technology makes it easier fot the actor to get into character opposed to a actor that may be in live broadway play.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.