Dana's Film Theory Blog

a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

the new cinema

Filed under: Uncategorized — dana318 at 11:51 am on Wednesday, May 5, 2010

After reading the article “Elegy for Film”, I at first didnt quite understand what was being said within the passage. But as I kept reading it became quite clear that it that D.N Rodowick (author) was upset with the direction cinema was heading towards. He discussed how the classic film no longer existed and that even when remastered, it still was not the same. I do agree that film has diminished in terms of value but it is also something that happens in passing of the times. As technology advances we see movies as we used to know change entirely. Although this does upset me, I cant help but to enjoy the advancements that have been made. With films such as Avatar and Clash of the Titans, we see techniques that seem almost unreal. Comparing Clash of the Titans 2010 to the 1981 version is a good way to show the difference almost 30 years makes. The visuals in present day “video” not only enhance the film but they bring the audience into a visionary world that would never be able to be accomplished with old school “film”. I do however feel these new techniques take away from the connection between the actor and audience, considering they are now focused on this visually enhanced world. It has always been said that a trip to the cinema is to take people away from their everyday problems and escape into the world of a film. The argument now is which is preferred, the visual world or the theatrical.

8

justina87

May 11, 2010 @ 7:50 pm

I definitely agree with you that film has changed a lot during the years and that it does bring upon mixed emotions. Yes, I also agree that the new advancements to film with digitalization as well as 3D films have made movies such as Avatar become as great as it is and it does seem unreal. Although cinema has progressively changed within the present time, I don’t think people will stop going to the movies even though films are easily downloaded via the internet just as many people still enjoy live concerts even though songs can be downloaded easily on the internet. I do agree with you that we have become a visually enhanced world.

9

shana

May 13, 2010 @ 2:54 pm

That’s a good question… of which is preferred the visual or the theatrical world. We live in technological day and age. People are more interested in the visual, the special effects, and the 3D. The advancements that have been made are tremendous, but I do feel we are not necessarily using them correctly. So it comes down to the question of are we inserting special effects because it enhances the story or is it just because we can. I think although all us film majors prefer the theatrical, but the majority of the world prefers the visual they prefer the spectacle. Furthermore separating us from the actor audience connection and instead we get so caught up in the visual effects. This happened to me when I watched Alice in Wonderland 3D Imax, after words I wasn’t sure if the movie was good because I was so amazed with the visual expierence.

980

Hcg injection supplies

June 9, 2014 @ 8:39 am

Hcg injection supplies

Dana’s Film Theory Blog

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.